Monday, May 16, 2011

Social Judgement Skills

        When going over my notes from the beginning of the year, I came across a topic we had discussed early on. It was the topic of social judgement. Having social judgement skills is having the capacity to understand people and social systems. It enables leaders to work with others to solve problems and to marshal support to implement change within an organization. Social judgement skills are the people skills that are necessary to solve unique organizational problems.
       When reading further into my notes, I noticed how I could relate this towards my life now. Being President of an RSO is a lot of work, especially a Greek council. I have to have many skills in order to be successful in my position. I have to have perspective skills, meaning to understand the attitudes that others have toward a particular problem or solution. I have to apply empathy to my problem solving. I have to be sensitive to other people's perspectives and goals- being able to understand their point of view on different issues.  I also have to have social perspectives to see how others in my organization  function. I have to know what's important to them and what motivates them. I have to be able to understand their unique needs, goals, and demands of different organizational constituencies.
       This leadership class has really helped me become a better leader. I am more aware of how I act toward individuals. Having these different perspectives has allowed me to have a sense of keen of how people will respond to any proposed change in my organization. It really allows me to know the pulse of my group on any issue at any time. Also I have learned that it is okay to change my leadership skills in order to meet the new demands. I have become a better communicator and have created an open door policy with my group. They know that they can be honest with me at any time since I want to build more of a relationship then just boss-employee. This leadership class has really helped me become more successful and an all around better leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment