Friday, May 6, 2011

Firing someone

The other day we hosted elections for the new NALFO board. I am currently the President and will be President again for next year. The elections went very smoothly and everyone was extremely happy with the results. However, the following day I came across some important information. The newly elected vice president was unable to run due to the fact that she is only part time. I had spoken with my advisor to see how I should go about the situation and he told me that I needed to tell the individual that they would no longer be able to hold their position in office. I was a little nervous at first since the person and I were rather close friends. However, it went a lot easier then I thought. I explained to the person the reasoning behind me having to dismiss them from their position and although she was upset at first she understood completely. We talked about things and I explained to her that I could still use her help and just because she wasn't on the board anymore didn't mean that she couldn't still be extremely involved within the group. She was very pleased to hear this information.
I think I handled the situation very well. I was informative yet I still displayed empathy. I tried putting myself in her shoes and its hard hearing that kind of information but I knew it would be harder hearing it from your good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment